Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blog #2

“For last year's words belong to last year's language 
And next year's words await another voice.” 

 T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets

I found this quote at the site http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/language. I could not find it more interesting and true. Once I got to thinking about it, language and the way we communicate with one another changes all the time. Every year, there is new slang or as the quote says, "another voice" ready to emerge. Phrases such as, "that is so bomb" are not nearly used as much as they were a couple years ago. Instead, people then replaced it with "that's so tight" or "that's so sick." Even those phrases continually diminish and get used less often. Next year, we could all be saying, "that's so noob!" Who knows? Each year, we hear new phrases and words of language being used so often that we all end up saying it in some form subconsciously. As times change with new styles, music, and interests, the language around us evolves with it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Becca. I also think the quote is very true. It is demonstrated by the fact that we no longer use words like "thou" or "shalt". Instead, we use words like "you" and "should". Language does change with the times as society decides that some words just are not practical or important anymore. There are even some words that have been taken out of dictionaries or have changed meanings. It seems as though language has fads and throw-back phrases too! For example, when I was small something that was not cool was refered to as "corny" and now I wonder, "Does anyone say that anymore?". Thinking about changing language brings back some good memories. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. I can recall maybe 2 or 3 years ago everyone was saying "thats bomb." It makes no logical sense at all but was used by so many teenagers. Hopefully YOLO makes it's way out soon haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the over the time language change and as everyday somebody comes with a new word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote makes perfect sense. Language changes from time to time. I remember how many common words I grew up with that people do not say anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slang is constantly created. I think it is one of the great things about language, evolution. It means there is always something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete