http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9oIvsk7cvw
^^ Everyone, go take a look at this YouTube video. First, I must say that I picked this video because I absolutely love Meryl Streep and Ellen...This video is just so goofy and fun. But on the dialects aspect, it is so funny how people view other accents. Yes, maybe a lot of people from those certain countries speak with a tone like that or say some of those phrases. But does everyone? No. Just as we watched in that "American Tongues" video in class the other day, we watched those people from Boston all with different accents and ways of saying things. People just assume that all those people have that rough accent.
It really does amaze me, though, how even though not everyone speaks the same accent in a certain place, people are able to guess where the accent is from in seconds. Back to the YouTube video, they both had the ability to listen to the accents and just know where it came from! How did we get so good at this? How is it so easy for us since not everyone from certain places speak the same? I just think it is absolutely amazing how society has become so aware of where certain dialects are from just by hearing a sentence. Being aware of the different types of speaking can give us a whole lot of knowledge and background of exactly where the roots of that person came from. What a cool and unique thing!
That is a cool thing to think that people have gained the ability to tell where others are from, especially when you test your own talent at it. For example, I can somewhat tell where someone is from based on their Spanish accent or their English accent. You can also tell in Spanish sometimes whether the person has learned Spanish purely by upbringing or has learned it in school. If it was learnded in school, sometimes the words used will be more traditional and not ones that are used very often by native speakers. I am sure the same happens when we learn foreign languages in school.
ReplyDeleteIt amazed me how good people have gotten with recognizing one's accent. Accents have been around for a long time and people have built up their own way of talking that makes everybody unique and sometimes people from the same origin might have different accents but they might be classified in the same category as the majority.
ReplyDeleteI personally would have never been able to guess half of those accents lol. But its weird because I have strangers tell me all the time that they can tell im from Cleveland because of my accent. What? I didn't even know that Cleveland had a recognizable accent.
ReplyDeleteHilarious video, thanks for posting it! I love accents, I think they make talking to people so much more interesting.
ReplyDelete