Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blog #6

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/srodnes/RVID/kenny-smith-language-evolution

       The video from this website is a very basic concept. The way we have learned language basically is from the people around us. As new generations go on, some language is changed and modified as new generations evolve. Language changes with the economy and people around us.
       This video doesn't mention anything about language and the internet. Though as I was watching this, I thought about how language can be so much more easily altered when the internet is added into the mix. If you have, say 500 friends on Facebook (considering that some may be out of state), you are being exposed to 500 different ways to express language through different phrases, words, languages, etc. If you are living in Arizona and a friend lives out of state in New York, you may hear them say a phrase you have never heard of. You go online to see what it means. You like the phrase, and start using it. Maybe you post the new word/phrase as one of your Facebook statuses and then your 500 friends are exposed to it. Maybe a ripple effect occurs and all of a sudden this new phrase from a different state is now popular in Arizona. I feel like with the new uses of internet and social media, people are able to see different ways to express language from different areas. It seems easier now a days to open your eyes to different cultures and languages because it is so accessible. YouTube videos give us this advantage. Punch in any language or subject of your liking through this site and bam! There it is! The same goes for Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, etc. Social media spreads different languages and phrases through Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, and so many other sites. What an easy way to see other languages and diverse ways to communicate through the internet.

4 comments:

  1. So true! I see the internet as definitely one of the best ways to exchange information and communicate. When a new fad or word begins I always see it begin on the internet like Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for the work. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While i was watching the video i thought about the different ways people communicate. Now days people have add new words to our vocabulary just by using the social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video was interesting. I gives the viewer to think about how language evolves over generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing how language passes from person to person! I had never thought of how language moves from area to area, but it makes sense. It would be interesting to come up with a phrase and see how far it goes!

    ReplyDelete